Sunday, August 29, 2010

Welcome!

As if raising a family and educating my children weren't enough, I decided to start a photography business and a blog.  About a year ago, when I was pregnant with my fourth, I was asked the question, "What do you enjoy and do for you?".  Of course, the answer seemed so clear yet robotic.  My reply was, "Spending time with my children and husband."  In response to this I was asked, "Yeah, but what do you do for YOU, not for your family, not for your husband, but for YOU?"  She said, "Think of the one thing that you love and could lose all track of time doing."  My mind went blank and for the life of me I couldn't even come up with one hobby or one thing I still enjoyed doing.  In the midst of parenting and trying to be the June Cleaver of the household, I lost all track of my inner self.
I thought about that question for a long time.  Several hobbies later, I found that I kept coming back to one thing.  Pictures.  I loved looking at pictures.  I kept asking myself, "Why?  What about the pictures do I enjoy so much?"  Then it hit me.  I like looking at pictures, but LOVE taking them.  A few short weeks later, I bought my first camera and was looking for subjects to shoot.  I wanted to hit the ground running and fast.
This break down, lead me to photography.  I have learned that it is ok to not let yourself go completely.  You can love and care for your family and yourself.
To all of you women or men for that matter, who feel like there is something missing in your life, I ask you, "What do you do for YOU?"