Friday, March 11, 2011

Up in Flames!

Trash the dress!  A trash the dress session is a photographer's dream.  The possibilities are endless.  It's not everyday you run into a bride that is willing to ruin her wedding gown.  That is why I am extremely thrilled a particular bride (you know who you are) contacted me about scheduling a shoot for the day after her wedding.

For those of you, like my husband, who are unfamiliar with what a trash the dress session is, here are a few words on the topic straight from Wikipedia:

"Trash the dress, also known as fearless bridal or rock the frock, is a style of wedding photography that contrasts elegant clothing with an environment in which it is out of place. It is generally shot in the style of fashion and glamour photography.


It may be done as an additional shoot after the wedding, almost as a declaration that the wedding is done and the dress will not be used again. It is seen as an alternative to storing the dress away, never to be seen again."


( Warning: After reading this, you might feel inclined to want to do this!)

There are different levels to which a "rock the frock" session can be done.

Extreme One:


Casual around town.  The dress is most likely not ruined or trashed.  These are just pictures in unusual places like a field, or downtown.  You aren't afraid to sit in a slightly dirty spot.

Other Extreme:

The dress is obviously ruined.  Don't expect to get those stains out!

Middle of the road:

Dress in water.  Depending on the type of water you get into, the dress may not be ruined.

The level you desire is up to you.  These shoots are a blast and yield some amazing (and unusual) pictures.  My dress has been in a box for 8 years now.  8 years people!!  And will probably be in there for the rest of my life, except for the one time I might take it out to show my daughters. 

Let's get together and plan your session!  Thank the Lord you are not in my husband's hands.  When asked about a trash the dress session, he said, Like you get a big chocolate cake or something?  They could throw the chocolate on each other and the bride could be eat a big piece of it.

Yes, Jesse exactly.  I want my brides to look like someone crapped all over them while they are pigging out on food.  Crap they've starved themselves for months trying to get into the shape of their lives for the big day, right? Well, thanks but no thanks.  I think I'll stick to ideas of my own on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment!