Monday, January 24, 2011

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda Part II

Did I really wear that?  Why didn't I have a dance?  Why did I pick those colors?  How could I possibly have spent so much on my wedding?  It seemed like pennies and all so worth it at the time.

When planning a wedding, it is so hard to know which vendors/items to splurge on and which to reel yourself in and cut costs on.  It's a lot like being "in love".  When you are "in love" (aka: planning a wedding) with someone, you are on such a high that you tend to overlook their faults (aka: cost).   One day though (aka: when the wedding is over), when the tingly feelings inside subside, you snap out of it and realize you don't know the person like you thought (aka: you see the final bill and cringe). 

Last Friday, I began reminiscing about my own wedding eight years ago and about what I would change now if I could go back and redo it then.  Of course, my list was LONG.  Hence the Part II section to this blog. Take from it what you will Brides.

Continuing on with my thoughts from last Friday......

  • My ring.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my ring!  The only problem is is that it is gold.  White gold/Platinum/Silver weren't as popular when I got married ( or at least that is what I like to tell myself).

  • A destination wedding.  I would have a small/intimate wedding on a beach in front of close family and then stick around for a honeymoon. When we got back, I would throw a reception and have a dance for all of our friends who didn't make it out to the wedding.  You might even save a few bucks in the end!  Think about it: a cheaper wedding gown for the beach, no shoes, no added travel expenses if family buy there own tickets, hardly any money spent on decorations or flowers, no Save-the-Date costs, no down payments for a location, etc.

  • I would opt for a Custom Guest Sign In Album.  Traditional Sign In Albums are boring.  Everyone squeezes their names (without leaving a comment) on a tiny line in a book with no pictures.  I have maybe, maybe, looked at mine once since I got married.

  • I would do one or two formal family shots after the reception and forget the rest.  Of all the wedding day pictures, I know that I am not going to pick a bunch of pictures of me with Aunt JoAnn and Uncle Bubba (who I see a few times a year) to go in my final album.   

  • Last but not least, I would get a huge picture framed of Jesse and I and hang it on the wall.  Wedding pics are heirlooms! 
Agree or disagree, but there you have it.  I hope this helps any future brides out there!

1 comment:

  1. The bill has come due and buyer's remorse or not, you're stuck with me. This can be your theme song though.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE&feature=related

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment!